Monday, 29 February 2016

Slow Week

   It's been a slow one this week which has been a little frustration but I've taken a couple days out for two reasons, firstly I wanted to attend this year's VFX Festival in London and on Friday I was invited down to the capital for an interview. So while I'm trying to remain as focused as I can on the FMP I'm obviously juggling other "real life" stuff, job hunting in particular as well as events that drag me away from labs.
 
 
   While I'm not quite kicking and screaming as I remove myself from Bede I can't escape feeling a tad guilty for leaving my FMP. There's at least the small comfort in what I have been able to do this week. So over the last fortnight I've blocked out the tileset for the Command Module I had hoped to use this week to begin refining the hero assets of the room, namely the central holo-table and the desks around the outskirts of the room. Unfortunately I'm now stretching that over next week as well as I want these assets, especially as they're central to the space, to be solid and not just a bit of a rushed job. I believe I have the time to do it but I'm a little anxious that the more time I devote to these assets it's gonna be coming out of something else's and my worry is that it's gonna be the Earth Pod that takes the hit.
 
 
   That's begun me down the line of thought of whether to cut the Earth Pod or not. I need to discuss it with Mike and get his thoughts on it still, I don't know if this is just me or something that should be a legitimate point to consider. I'll probably get a clearer idea on Friday until then I'll continue with what I planned above. As you've quite possibly noticed already I've laced this post with some of the work I've got through since Monday. It's mostly been concepting and referencing and beginning to refine the blockout of the holo-table. Something I've been keen on through out the project has been designing with a thematic context in mind and for me a lot of that has central around imagery that plays on peoples phobias, planes, coffins and I wanted to continue this with the table. At first I wasn't quite sure what to push with that but as I was researching I gravitated towards operating theatres and equipment. I felt this could create a very unique design as well as hopefully creating a subtle association between the player and the final asset. My first ideas were to utilise the operating lights as projectors around the table to create a sense of functionality with the design and I hope that it makes it seem more grounded then your usual holographic display.
 
 
 
   Though there's still a long way to go with getting the design there, especially with the projectors. I'm also drawing ref from car manufacturing arms, there something that have been in my reference bank for some time however I've not found a way to utilise them until now. I'll probably spend a couple more days on it before moving on to the desks and other monitors in the room for the end of the week. I'm also hoping to get some atmospheric work done too as, if I stick to my current schedule, I'm moving on to the earth pod at the end of this week. Since the Pod is much smaller I'm sure I'll be able to skimp some time on it and funnel that back into the Command Module before Easter. In my head what I want for then is to have someone play right through the space without me needing to explain anything. Yeah it'll be rough but the most crucial elements should all be in there.  That and as I said before I'll be moving on at the end of the week is why I'm rolling the idea cutting the Pod in my head I want that to be a decision made by next weekend and with Easter fast approaching it's not one that I think I'm gonna have a lot of time to make.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment